Saturday, February 5, 2011

Craziness in Abilene

We drove for 8 hours today and everything was fine... and then we got off the highway in Abilene, and thus began the insanity. Ice and snow everywhere! We could not find our hotel! As the temperature dropped and the ice thickened, and we had driven around and around for 45 minutes, we just stopped at the first place we could find and booked a room. The girl at the counter was both actually pretty and actually nice, but to us she appeared as a beautiful and radiant angel. We are safe now, but hungry, as nothing is open. Memo to selves, no more driving at night. Postscript, Feb 20th: still have not gotten a refund from the hotel that we were supposed to stay at... you know, the one we couldn't get to because of the NATURAL DISASTER. The one we tried to reach, only to get bored, snotty, wrong directions from the girl at the desk, who literally didn't care at all that we were lost in an ice storm, and then hung up on us. My longtime friends will tell you that I am normally a huge pansy about customer service (like, I usually won't send it back if the waitress screws up my order, I'll just eat it) but you know what? I called the hotel and I tried my best to get her fired. I mean, leaving the tomatoes on is one thing.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, you are on your way to Dallas, then Shreveport, as you mentioned before leaving. Yeah, given the freakishly cold weather and the fact that sleeping in your car an option anyway, I would agree that daytime driving only is a good idea. Love you.

    ReplyDelete