Friday, April 27, 2012

Etsy Boycotts--support genuine crafters and vintage sellers

I'll be participating in 3 one-day boycotts of Etsy this month. I'm protesting the influx of factory-made goods, and Etsy's disregard for its core of crafters and vintage sellers. A full explanation of the issue is below, in my previous blog post.

The boycotts are:

May 1st--I guess this here is the website for this one, until something better comes along. Started by Etsy seller Liz Hornbrook and myself

May 3rd: http://www.neogami.com/baligate.html

May 10th (this is looking to be the big one. Sign up at http://www.protesty.com/index.php)

A couple of tips:

If you're putting an announcement on your shop, DO NOT mention Ecologica or Etsy by name--this can get your shop permanently closed for "calling out" or "being negative", which are not allowed on Etsy, even when they're pretty well deserved. Say something like "I handmake all the items in my shop. I am closing for a day to show my solidarity with genuine handmade artists and vintage sellers. Buy genuine handmade. I will reopen tomorrow. Thank you for your support."

Please refrain from personal remarks about Mariana Schecter, especially her appearance. It goes to the "calling out" rule listed above, but beyond that, it's sexist. The issue is not that she's pretty or well-dressed; the issue is that she's acting in an unethical way, and Etsy is supporting her. Ecologica is just the tip of the iceberg anyway.

Spread the word! The more people who get involved, the likelier Etsy is to reconsider their policies. They need to see how badly this story is hurting their brand. I am also concerned that if only a few people protest, Etsy will shut down their shops for trumped-up reasons, but they cannot erase thousands of shops.

Most things are mass-produced--Etsy pretends to be different. They should honor their mission statement and stop making excuses for Ecologica and other resellers.



No comments:

Post a Comment